We had a beautiful November, with weather in the 60s just last week. However, I’m not in denial. It’s that time of year when Western Pennsylvania weather changes quickly from autumn to the chill of the winter season. Before Old Man Winter appears make sure you have prepared your home with this Winter Home Maintenance Checklist:
- Clean your gutters. Remove leaves and sticks so water can flow through downspouts. Inspect downspouts to make sure they are extended to prevent potential water damage. Ice damming can easily ruin a roof.
- Inspect windows and doors for leaks. Check and replace if needed the weather stripping around the widows and door frames. This will help prevent heat loss.
- Check your heating system. Replace the filter in your furnace. Consider hiring an expert to check the efficiency of the furnace.
- Insulate, insulate, insulate! Properly insulating your house is the best step you can take to keep your home energy efficient, warm, and well maintained.
- Drain and turn off outdoor faucets and irrigation systems. Insulate exposed pipes in your home to prevent condensation and freezing.
- Fire Safety. If you didn’t change the batteries when you changed the clocks last month, do so now. Test smoke detectors and CO detectors. Replace old fire extinguishers.
- Siding. Take a walk around the home looking for loose or eposes areas in the siding. Seal gaps and replace damaged siding panels.
- Winterize your yard and deck. Put away outdoor furniture, like outdoor tables and chairs, and grills.
- Be prepared. Buy a snow shovel and road salt so you’ll have it before winter weather hits and the store supplies deplete.
Check out some of our previous blogposts about preparations to stay safe during the winter:
Preparing for Winter Weather Driving
It’s also not a bad time to review your insurance coverage. To take a look at your homeowners insurance, call us at 724-575-7237.